Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wedding Dress!!!

Ooooh, this is a good one!

Last Saturday, there was an event in Boston called Brides Against Breast Cancer. Dresses were donated from designers, bridal shops, and (I believe) women who already got married. They were all deeply discounted, and the proceeds went to the Making Memories charity.

I wasn't planning on actually finding a dress because we still have 15 months until the wedding. Also, I didn't know what the selection would be like, or how crowded it would be (my cousin was gearing up for a Running of the Brides event), not to mention how inexpensive the dresses would actually be. Because, let's face it, if a dress is $2000, even 50% off is still $1000.

But we got there and they had several racks full of dresses, many of them ivory, which was my only specification for a wedding dress. There weren't that many people there at all, and I tried on about 10 dresses before I found THE ONE.

I won't post pictures because Dan reads this blog, but here are a couple of pictures of dresses I didn't get:
Not a winner.

This is the best picture of this dress. Please note what a good sport I am, and also that my face doesn't actually look like this.

Too. Much. Dress.

Now, most importantly, prices. I don't know why this event wasn't swarming with people. Maybe they didn't advertise it well enough (I only heard about it from another knitter on Ravelry who was getting married). I tried on several dresses in the $300-400 range. The dress I ended up getting was one of the more pricey ones they had, and it was still only $550, which is what the dresses would have started at if I went to a chain bridal store, never mind an independent shop. Not to mention this money is going to a great cause.

The tag on the dress said it was originally $913, which makes it 40% off. But after poking around online, I found that it actually sold for around $1200. So, I win.

Total Money Spent: $577.72
Money Left to Spend: $4422.28

3 comments:

  1. I was soooo close to going to this, but figured it would be too crowded and too much of a hassle to get into town and find a sitter since I didn't find out about it til last minute...now I very much regret that.

    Congratulations! (on your engagement and your dress finding :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My college age daughter and I created a Student Loan Gift Registry which we think could help. Go to www.LilysList.com and register your student loan. Tell your guests how to get to your profile page where they can give a gift donation that is 100% directly deposited into your student loan account. Feel free to contact us if you have questions at Jennifer @LilysList.com Congratulations on your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as I have been going through a problem as seriously as my son found a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and I could not pay the bills, then your surgery went to the bank to borrow and reject me saying that I have no credit score, from there i run to my father and he was not able to help, then when I was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mr, Pedro, offering loans at affordable interest rate I had no choice but to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, I got a loan of $ 110,000.00 to paid for my son surgery then get myself a comfortable business to help me going as well. I  thank God today is good and you can walk and is working and the burden is longer so much on me more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to myself that I will mourn aloud in the world of the wonders of God to me through this God fearing lender  Mr Pedro and I would advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this God-fearing man on  ......  pedroloanss@gmail.com 
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete